Studios at the Old Parcels Office
The Old Parcels Office ArtSpace is managed by Scarborough Studios CIO, a charitable organisation which oversees the running of the OPO and its programmes.
Following an extensive restoration project, the Grade II listed building is provided with heating, lighting, toilet facilities, a storeroom, kitchenette, teaching/workshop area, 7 artists studios and a large Gallery space.
To fulfil our charitable objectives we are seeking studio artists who will contribute to the development of the OPO ArtSpace as a centre for contemporary visual arts by maintaining an active and ambitious studio practice, exhibiting regularly, and supporting our public programmes.
There are 7 studios, each benefits from natural daylight, electric lighting, its own lockable door, a sink and power sockets. Details of the studio sizes are as follows:
Studio 1 – Ceramic Studio – 22m2
Studio 2 – Art Studio – 26m2
Studio 3 – Art Studio – 26m2
Studio 4 – Art Studio – 24m2
Studio 5 – Art Studio – 20m2
Studio 6 – Mezzanine Art Studio – 16m2
Studio 7 – Mezzanine Art Studio – 16m2
Applying for a studio
To apply for a studio artists are required to complete a short application form and submit this together with a CV, website details and/or 6 images of their work to [email protected]
Applications are welcome from solo artists and groups wishing to share.
Studio selection criteria
We want our studios to be accessible to all therefore, anyone can view and apply for a studio. We encourage our artists to work, teach, and exhibit within an active, diverse, and productive creative community at OPO ArtSpace, therefore, we consider applications against the following criteria:
- Quality of work
- Artists working professionally
- Increasing participation in contemporary arts
- Public engagement
- Support the professional development of artists
- Socially engaged art practices
- Underrepresented groups in the arts
- Likely amount of time the space will be used
Studio Licenses are granted for a period of one year and are reviewed annually.
Scarborough Studios Ltd will review studio licenses, based on the following expectations:
- Studios should be used regularly (approximately 50% of the time)
- Maintaining regular monthly licence fee payments
- Make a positive contribution to the of The Old Parcel Office including participating in Open Studio events
- A meaningful contribution to the charitable purposes of Scarborough Studios CIO
- Studio holders should be aware of, and adhere to, the guidelines and behaviours set out in the Standard Conditions of Business and the relevant sections of The Old Parcel Office Operational Policy.
- Failure to adhere to these guidelines may result in withdrawal of your studio licence.
The Licence fee covers the allocated studio space, utilities and access to common areas eg. toilets, kitchenette; and is payable monthly direct debit.
For more information, availability and an application pack email [email protected]