EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
Exhibitions at the Old Parcels Office ArtSpace
8th to 18th September
Private View: Thur 8th Sept 5.30-7pm
When the Railway Came to Town
‘When The Railway Came To Town’ celebrates the history of the Old Parcels Office as Scarborough’s first dedicated Excursion Station. Through a collection of enlarged historical maps, postcards, memorabilia and selected pieces of contemporary art, the exhibition charts the growth of Scarborough as seaside resort from the arrival of the first steam trains in 1845.
Private View — 5.30pm to 7.00pm 8th September
6.00pm – Official Opening of the exhibition by Andy Savage, Chairman of the National Railway Heritage Awards
7.30pm – Guests are invited to stay on for an illustrated talk about the history of Scarborough Stations by the President of the Scarborough Railway Society and well known local author, Robin Lidster.
The original historical maps which have been enlarged for the exhibition, are part of a collection owned by architect Adrian Spawforth, whose family have a longstanding connection with Scarborough.
After 1845, Scarborough saw a period of rapid expansion as a holiday destination as the railway made access to the town cheaper and easier. Many of the town’s great landmarks were built during this period. Some remain today, whilst others such as the underground Aquarium, the pier and the revolving tower lasted for just a few short years before falling into disrepair and ultimately being demolished. Adrian Spawforth’s collection of maps reveals the amazing social history of the town.
Light refreshments will be available
The exhibition is being staged as part of national Heritage Open Days.
This exhibition coincides with National Heritage week and there will be an opportunity to look round the Old Parcels Office which was originally built in the 1880’s as a set of additional waiting rooms to cope with the growth in excursion trains coming to Scarborough.