EXHIBITIONS & EVENTS
Exhibitions at the Old Parcels Office ArtSpace
Open Artspace Entry Form
Terms and Conditions & Entry Form
· Entries are welcome from all visual artists and makers, resident in the UK · Entry forms must be completed online printed copies will not be accepted
· The exhibition will be held at:
The Old Parcels Office, Westborough, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO14 1TU
The aim of the Old Parcels Office (OPO) Open Artspace exhibition:
· To showcase new and emergent work in the visual arts
· To provide an annual platform exhibiting a wide cross section of visual artworks from the Scarborough community and beyond
· To encourage people from diverse backgrounds to submit their unique creations: all are very welcome
· Applicants may like to visit or look at the Old Parcels space prior to submission as it varies from a traditional ‘white cube’ gallery space and may affect your entry choices.
Prizes & Opportunities
- OPO Exhibition Prize: The Board of the OPO will select up to 5 artists from the entries received, for an opportunity of a shared group show at the Old Parcels Office in 2023.
- Visitors’ Choice: £200.00 prize will be awarded to the most popular work as voted for by visitors to the exhibition. Sponsored by Yorkshire Coast Bid
- Hawthorn Printmaking Prize: £100.00 voucher for Hawthorn printmaking supplies
- Yorkshire Coast Bid Prize: £300 to an artist selected by the Yorkshire Coast Bid Team
All dates must be strictly adhered to:
Deadline for completed entry forms: Midnight on Sunday 13th February 2022
Selection Day: Saturday 19th February 2022; notification to artists the following week.
Dates to deliver selected artwork to the Old Parcels Office:
Wednesday 2nd March 11am – 7.30pm
Thursday 3rd March 11am – 6.00pm
Saturday 5th March 11am – 7.30pm
Exhibition opens to the public:
Saturday 12th March to Sunday 24th April
Opening hours – Thursday to Sunday, 11am-4pm
Private View: Friday 11th March 6pm to 8pm
Collection of Unsold Work:
Monday 25th April 11am – 7.30pm
Tuesday 26th April 11am – 7.30pm
How your work will be selected:
Due to the constraints of space at the Old Parcels Office, and what we can realistically curate, it is necessary for the submissions to be selected; for this we have invited two arts practitioners from varying disciplines and backgrounds as guest judges. A member of the OPO Board will also be present on the panel to assist with the selection process.
It is very important to us to maintain complete transparency during selection, therefore art work will be considered entirely on its own merits and your name or biographical information will not be revealed to the panel during this process.
Conditions of Entry
· This opportunity is open to all visual artists and makers whether professional, amateur, student or graduate who are resident in the UK.
· We ask that the work submitted has been created within the last 2 years, must be your own work, and owned by you.
· Copies of artworks will not be accepted, but those ‘derived’ from another piece may be considered.
· Please complete the entry form online printed copies of the entry form will not be accepted
· The deadline for application is: midnight on Sunday 13th February; late entries will not be accepted.
· The following forms of visual art will be accepted: painting, original & digital printmaking, drawing, sculpture, textiles, crafts (2D & 3D), photography, moving image.
· Up to 3 artworks may be submitted per artist. You will need to submit one form per work. Please ensure the media and dimensions are accurately listed in your entry form.
Images of your work
· The quality of the images you up-load are integral to work being selected.
· Please ensure the images are sharp and cropped appropriately, and are true to the actual artwork (no filters etc.)
· Image files submitted should be in JPG/JPEG format, at a resolution of 300dpi and between 1MB and 3MB in size.
· You can submit one image per 2D artwork, and up to 2 images per 3D artwork.
· The images should follow the titling guidelines: YOUR NAME_TITLE OF WORK
· The images will be anonymised at the point of selection.
· Submission fees are £10 for 1 work and £20 for 2-3 works, irrespective of size or medium.
· Fees must be paid at the time of application and will be paid online.
· This fee is non-returnable, even if your work is not selected for exhibition.
Preparing the work
The OPO is a heritage building and the hanging system is rail-based, with wires and sliders, rather than the work being attached to the wall itself. All 2D work for hanging should be fitted on the back with D-Rings, placed vertically approximately 5cm from the top of the frame. Please ensure the D-Rings used are suitable for the weight of the artwork. No picture cord or wire is required.
· Mirror plates will not be accepted. If they are required, for any reason, then we reserve the right to fit them to your frame/stretcher at the OPO.
· We also reserve the right to adjust your fittings, if needs be, to ensure a successful curation of your work.
· If your piece has special installation requirements then please let us know with clear instructions in the ‘Further information’ box on the application form.
· If your work is selected you will need to clearly label each piece with your name, title and price of the work, to match the information on your application form.
Notification of selected works
· Entries will be selected by a panel for inclusion to the exhibition as outlined above. · You will be notified via an email from [email protected] in the week commencing 21st February whether your artwork has been selected for exhibition or otherwise. Please add this email address to your trusted senders or check your email junk-box regularly in case it has been diverted. The Old Parcels Office do not accept responsibility for missing email notifications.
· The decision of the selectors on all matters Is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
Delivery and collection of work
· The dates for delivery of selected work are:
Wednesday 2nd March 11am – 7.30pm
Thursday 3rd March 11am – 6.00pm
Saturday 5th March 11am – 7.30pm
· Artists are responsible for all transport and collection costs.
· Bring your work to: Old Parcels Office, Westborough, Scarborough, North Yorkshire, YO11 1TU. You will find us at the far end of the station carpark. Please use the car parking spaces and leave the loading area free, unless your work is exceptionally heavy or large, in which case please give us prior warning to assist in the handling of it, by emailing [email protected]
· The work will remain on show between Saturday 12th March to Sunday 3rd April during the normal opening hours of the OPO, outlined in the ‘Key Dates’ section. During this time it will not be possible for you to remove your work from the show.
· The dates for collection of unsold work are:
· Monday 25th April 11am – 7.30pm
· Tuesday 26th April 11am – 7.30pm
· If someone other than the named artist is delivering or collecting the work, we will require prior notice of the nominated person’s name from the artist via email. The nominee will be asked to show identification (e.g. a driving licence or a copy of the initial acceptance email for the artwork).
· As we have limited storage facilities, we will dispose of any uncollected work after April 22nd 2022
Insurance and Liabilities
· Whilst every care will be take in the handling of your artworks. The Old Parcels Office and Scarborough Studios CIO can accept no liability for loss or damage to work submitted to and exhibited during the Open Exhibition; therefore, you are strongly recommended to arrange your own insurance for any artworks delivered to us.
Sales of Artworks
· If your work is for sale and is sold then Scarborough Studios CIO will take a 33% commission of the sales price. Please remember to figure in this commission when you are pricing your works. Please also note that artists liable to VAT are responsible for paying their own tax.
· When your work sells and once the buyer has paid in full, a red dot will be placed beside the piece, and another on the list of works in the space.
· Any sales of the work during the exhibition should be processed via the Old Parcels Office. If you, the artist, sell the artwork via another platform, then the commission to the OPO will still be owing. Please inform us of all sales to avoid replication.
· Payment to artists will take place after the exhibition has been taken down. A member of the Old Parcels office will be in touch to take your bank account name, number and sort code and the funds will be transferred to you via BACS. We will not ask you for any further account information, and this information will only be used to make this payment.
Publicity & Data
By submitting work for this exhibition, you authorise the OPO to process, store, and utilise the data in your submission and agree that, if selected for exhibition, images of your work can be used by the OPO and associated organisations for promotional and publicity purposes regarding this exhibition only.
Copyright The copyright of all works, other than commissioned work, remains the property of the artist. Any enquiries for copyright will be referred to the artist.
Invitations & flyers Digital invitations or flyers and a press release will be emailed to all selected artists to forward to buyers, collectors, press and any other contacts they would like to see the exhibition.
Due to the on-going pandemic and the uncertainty that surrounds public access, the Old Parcels Office reserves the right to cancel, cut short or postpone the Open Exhibition dependent upon Government guidelines. In this unfortunate circumstance, we will be in touch with the artists as soon as a decision has been reached to make appropriate arrangements. In the event of a cancellation, we will display the selected works on our website as a digital exhibition instead. Submission fees in this circumstance will not be refundable.
Click Here for a PDF version of the Terms and Conditions
We are no longer accepting submissions. Open Artspace entries closed at midnight on 13 February.